Saturday 28 September 2013

Check Your Premises


Many years ago, when I was deep into investigating the JFK assassination, I came across an interesting observation in one of the better books on the subject, to my mind.  It was called 'Best Evidence' (by David S. Lifton), and the "interesting observation" was the subject of the value in/of 'checking your premises'.

The presenting situation was the difference - the potential difference - between what the emergency-room doctors saw of the head wounds of JFK in Dallas, and what the autopsy doctors saw later in Bethesda on the East Coast.  At one early point in the investigation, by those who didn't accept blindly the official story, because of various discrepancies appearing in it, a number of investigators assumed that the wounds were the same.  But that was merely an assumption; and the author of the 'Best Evidence' book took it upon himself to question that premise.  His thinking was based on a comment that Ayn Rand had made once, that he had come across in one of her books on what she called Objectivism - her political philosophy.  She made reference to the idea of the value of one checking one's premises; and he remembered being amused by the image that formed in his mind when reading the passage, of someone going down into the basement of their premises with a flashlight and checking things out.  But the admonition stuck with him; and he realized, in painstakingly researching the JFK caper, that no one had checked out the subject mentioned above.

It led him to uncovering a premise about what had happened that afternoon and evening: that the wounds in JFK's head were NOT the same between those reported by the Trauma Room doctors in Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas immediately after the assassination and the sketches drawn and photos taken in the autopsy room that evening in Bethesda; that there was a likely scenario that needed to be researched in depth - involving such points as

* when Air Force One landed at Andrews Air Force Base near Washington, D.C., in the dark of early evening, all the TV cameras and lights were placed at the site and side of the plane where the casket was unloaded, via the rear door, and seen to be put in an ambulance;

* there was a curious gap in time between the time of the casket being taken out of Air Force One and its arrival at the (un)loading dock of Bethesda Naval Hospital, of about 45 minutes.  It involved a bit of a wild goose chase, where a dummy ambulance was involved - the cover story proving to be that the authorities (the Secret Service???) didn't want the trailing reporters being so ghoulish as to cover the trip to the hospital, for all to see, and, presumably, 'gawk at'.  What this allowed was the following suggested scenario: 
    
     that the body itself was unloaded out the other side of the plane, in the dark; 

     that it was spirited away to a hospital controlled by TPTB, where a quickie operation was engaged in, to dig out from JFK's terribly assaulted skull any evidence of more than one shooter, and that one being where the perps' patsy, Lee Harvey Oswald, was supposedly shooting from the 6th floor corner of the Texas School Book Depository building, where he was an employee;1

     that the body was then put in a body bag and casket, and sent on its way to the autopsy hospital -

     where no one, apparently, noticed that it was in a different casket from the one that had been loaded into and unloaded from Air Force One.2    

My point with all this reminiscing:

Today I did a number of things, ending in going to the supermarket for a couple of items, and in arriving back home, at the (locked) back door of my apartment complex, discovered that my house keys were missing, from my regular pocket for them.  I double-checked; and even checked my other pants pockets, with no real hope of finding them there, because I never put them there, but just to be 'on the safe side'.  Stunned, I wondered what to do; began to get into worst-case scenarios, about how I was going to get into my flat that evening; and, figuring that they must have fallen out when I took out my change purse from that pocket to cover some of the cost of my purchase at the market, I retraced my steps back there; checking the sidewalk along the way, for 'just in case'.  On the way, I recalled finding a penny on that sidewalk on my initial trip of the day along there, from the store, and mused on how I had made an assumption about things like 'a lucky penny' for the day; how we let things affect our thoughts and feelings, that may not be all that valid; and began to feel a bit foolish about doing that sort of thing, i.e., thinking of the likes of 'lucky pennies'.  In the event, back in the store, my keys were not at the checkout counter that I had used, and no one had reported finding any to the assistant manager.  I was writing down my name and telephone number for him, in case they turned up, when they did turn up: in my shirt pocket.  

How in heaven's name did they get in there?? I wondered, while walking home again.  And two things occurred to me, as I mused on what lesson or lessons I could take from the experience.  The first was that I had made an assumption; a logical assumption - that I never put my  keys in that pocket, and so they could't have been in there - but an assumption nevertheless.  I had checked my other pants pockets; but automatically ruled out, in my mind, my shirt pocket, without even giving 'it' - that possible scenario - a try.

Careful about making assumptions, in life, I took with me from the experience.

And two; and the main one, for me.  I realized, in that musing over 'lessons to be learned,' that just that day, earlier on, I had mailed a letter back to a college that had told me, in an unsolicited mailing (from a mailing list undoubtedly obtained from another such college that I had made a contribution to), of their strong Christian and constitutional values, and which solicited a donation/support.  On a survey form that they had included - their National Survey Defending Our Christian Values - I wrote, in somewhat negative response to one of the questions:3  "Christianity itself will have to change in the light of scholastic research that reveals its historical flaws; but its basic values are still valid.  Especially the concept of life that we are 'spiritual beings having a human experience'."

I felt solid about my response, based on a lot of research into the subject of Christianity, that goes way back to when I left university in search of capital-t Truth about life.  i have been basically keeping an eye on the subject area ever since; in fact, have a number of books currently on that very subject.

And yet.  And yet…

What do I know.  Really know

And I also realized that I have been thinking about this very subject recently.  I follow some Internet sites that are into the subject area of our human Ascension coming up; do so, because it all fits with my take on such things ever since I had a 'spiritual experience' at university many years ago that left me with the very solid feeling that 'the universe has Purpose, and that Purpose is Good,'  and have grown to believe - believe, I realize - that , as I have said to one or two people in my life, in moments of particularly candid sharing, "I didn't incarnate at this time to waste my time".  But if someone were to ask me, What do I really know about it all, I would have to answer, that it's just a feeling I have.   

And I would do well to continue to check my premises.  

Not make assumptions.

Keep an open mind.  To everything.

Even, that I could have put my house keys in my shirt pocket.  As outlandish as that fact would appear to be on its surface.

---

footnotes:


1 and got the job through a CIA contact;  another part of the story.


2 The original one was a wooden casket (as seen as well being taken out of Air Force One); the arrival one at the autopsy-hospital dock was a metal one.  
     There was also a discrepancy in the story regarding the body bag.  But not to go into this in too great a detail.  Just to give a suggestion - a solid suggestion -  that skullduggery was deeply afoot that day, in more ways than the 'triggering'  one. 


3 They had solicited my "honest opinions" and "advice for the next generation of Christian leaders…who will lead our nation into the future".  Uh-oh, I thought.  Another group of people with good intentions, but a fundamentally flawed premise...    
          

No comments: