Sunday 22 December 2013

The Grunion Are Running


The Grunion Are Running.
         And So Are We
                   Only
     Heading Out To Sea
            Ponderously
              

                 I

It's easy to believe that
This is all there is.
Isn't it.  The sun
Comes up, and goes down
                         again
And again, and again…
                           yet
Who knows
What may happen
In the future
Since the future
Hasn't happened yet.
Has it??


                 II

December 22nd, 2013.
               Long Beach
California.  I spent
The late afternoon
On the beach
Proper
In the waning sun.
             (Or to say
Correctly now 
Waxing; having reached
Its limit
In dwindling
Seemingly
For the year
And tracing now
Its way
Ponderously
Back
To where it started
Before it began
Its journey.)
             Wading in
To my feet.
            Sending out
What good energy I have
                     to share
              to help heal
The Pacific Ocean
And all who dwell therein
And thereon
          for their livelihood
From the aftermath
Of Fukushima.
                     Nations
Casting their nets
Widely;
          having consequences
Far from their home bases.
           Like us
Individually?…..

                              A man
          is sleeping
     under a blanket
Near a large flock
Of seagulls,
                     sunning
Themselves, facing
The sun.
As I am too,
               on my return
From my holy ablution.

                            Oh.
               Disregard
My earlier report:
                It's a couple,
         stirring  
From their state 
Of somnolence
And emerging
Like Venus, rising.

And stirring, too, is
A grand ocean liner,
               sheltering
       nearby,
Signaling its flock
A timely warning:
                      time
      to get back
Soon.
Which they know of
Precisely
                 from their
                 specific
                 calling…

 Some of the gulls
           are fishing
For their dinner now.*
What is it.
Grunion?
Slippery; silver; small…
Whatever.
It will do
Them
       for a meal…

       thoughts drifting  by
       to dip in
       and catch one
       at random.
Like a grunion:

I have spent a night
On the beach, too
Sleeping, when
All of a sudden
I was surrounded
By people
And grunion, thrashing
On the sand
On one of their their periodic
Moonlit runs…
That was - when.
         The late summer
Of '55.
              Man alive…
At a time when
     the moon
And the sun
Were drawing me out
Of my comfort zone
Too;
     to make a run for it
On God's green Earth
And blue.  Running
                 to
         wherever
It led me to.


And here I am.
Some 58 years later
                  flapping
On the same beach
(or near enough
to be the same
in point of actual fact).
That was when
I was twenty-one;
          just entering
My majority...  

           ...And now
        I am old
And gray.
               Yet, still
         on the run
Anyway.
For that is who I am

              and craving
        to fly
               out of reach
Of my enemy.
             Which is Time.
Past, present, future
            when all I want
Is the majestic Now.


              III

The sun draws near
To the end of its day
At our place in it.
Growing cold.
               Time to go -
Where? - for now:
In
     for more of the same
          when -
I can hardly believe it:
             It's the same
       Oriental woman -
                           light
As a feather - going for
Her obviously daily swim
     as I observed
     in passing
     in the summer.

Brrr.
             Now that
        is a sense
Of duty!
       
            …and the liner
Makes its slow and ponderous way 
Out to sea.
             Doing its thing
In its way, too.


             IV

I am strangely moved
By it all
                 know
That I will get my call
When it is my time, too.
                 Though
I must confess:
I can hardly wait.

           ---


* And speaking of
Are the cranes 
Big, unloading contraptions
Near the ocean liner,
                            looming
Like prehistoric monsters,
                   lined up
Against the skyline, waiting
For their dinner.
                   All here
Is kill
Or be killed.  

It's a funny old place.


No comments: