Thursday 20 June 2019

Who Am I?


    Who Am I?

People
Of a certain age 
And disposition
Will remember when
Charles de Gaulle said, in
                    the wake 
    of a terrible
    world war:
“I am France,” daring
To embody his nation
In himself, and speak
For it.  Hey -
That was his feeling.
And listen to this
If you thought that
        was something
Extraordinary:

I Am the Father
Of my country.
It is my baby.
And I will not
Let anybody 
         treat it
    in the way
That they have been
Heretofore.
                  That
Is an order
From on high - 
                     higher
Than we humans
               have ever
Gone before.

             And now
Watch us soar.

Individually.
And collectively.

With liberty
And justice
For all

As this country
Leads the way
                into
   The New.

No comments: