Tuesday 23 October 2018

A Conversation I Almost Had


‘Oh.  Hello.’

‘Hello.’

‘..Mind if I sit here?’

’No.  Please do.’

‘Thanks…I’m sorry; I’ve seen you around campus, and there was that little exchange during the Class Day outing, but I don’t remember your name.’

‘It’s Rachel.’

Rachel.  Right.   Mine’s - ‘

‘I know.’

‘Oh.  Okay…You going far?’

’San Diego.’

‘.Ah.  Well.  All the way…I’m going to L.A..  … So, you finished your Finals early?’

’Sort of.’

’Sort of.,,Actually, that describes me, too.  I’ve, well…had it,  With formal education.’

‘What are you going to do.’

‘Well, I don’t reatly know, precisely.  I have this vague idea of going to New York City, and spending some time in their Main Public Library..  I’ve had this idea of doing some research in what I figure is ‘the largest public library in the Western world’.   Looking for answers.’

‘To…’

To ‘life’.  Great idea, huh?  But it’s true.  I’ve decided that it doesn’t make sense to ‘beat around the bush,’ as it were.  I want to know what it’s all about.  Hey - we’re off.  Excuse me a moment - I want to wave goodbye to my friend who drove me to the station.  I see that he’s still right out there on the platform.’

,,,

’A nice guy...So.  Where were we.’

’On what life is all about.’’

‘Right.  You know - the God thing, and all.’

‘Why do you believe that there is a God at all?’

‘Because it makes sense.’

‘How so.  Speculatively?’

’No. Scientifically.  To believe in evolution without a Mind behind it all is what is the equivalent of a fairy tale.  I mean, come on - all the enzymes involved, and all.’     

‘So, do you think that you’re going to find your answers in the Bible?’

‘I don’t know.  But I’m going to find that out….Hey.  Rachel.  I don’t want to bore you with my story.  This is going to be a long ride; and I see that you have a book with you.  And I’ve been a bit..stressed out lately, and I’m going to let the clickety-clack of the train wheels on the track lull me to some much-needed sleep.  Catch you later.’    


‘Well - this is where I get off.  See you, Rachel.  Well.  You know.’

‘I’ll get off with you.  We can have a cup of coffee.’

‘ - Uh.  Well.  Okay.’

..

’So.’

’So, what are you going to do, next.’

‘I’ve been thinking of renting a car and spending some time at the beach and having some downtime there, before heading for home and  ‘facing the music’ with my mother.  I mean, I have dropped out of school, and the opportunity to go on into Medical School, and all.  

‘And you?  Are you going to finish your education next year?’

‘Oh yes.  Well.  Why not.’

’So.  This is goodbye, then.’

‘If you say so.

..

‘Why do you think that Mel steered you to my train car.’

..

‘…I’m sorry, Rachel.  This is liable to be a long and lonely trip.  I won’t be able to take it with anybody.   

‘Good luck on your own journey in life.  But this is where I get off.

‘Goodbye.’

And adieu.

Until we meet again.

(Whatever your true name was, this time around.)

No comments: