Thursday 11 October 2018

Mommy Dearest


‘Mommy, Mommy, tell us a story.’

‘All right. What would you like to hear about.’

‘Tell us more about ‘the old days’.  What was it really like?’

‘Oh!  It was terrible.  The people - ‘

‘What exactly were ‘people,’ Mommy?’

‘Well, they were… a little like us.  I mean, they had a head, and eyes, and arms, and hands, and legs, and feet.  But they were subject to wearing out far more often than we are.  And they walked around in a daze most of - ‘

‘What exactly is ‘daze,’ Mommy?’

‘Just a nano…”Daze: As if hit by something.  Not being programmed.”’

‘Ugh.  How did they know what to do?’

‘Well, they - just - tried to figure it all out.  It’s rather complicated to try to describe.  They simply - as I say - walked around in a daze.’

‘Sounds horrible.’

‘Yes, it was.  But they somehow liked it.  It gave them something that they called ‘freedom’.’

‘Which was…’

‘It was just like I said: As if walking around in a daze.’

‘Ugh.’

‘But what precisely did you do in the Really Great War, Mommy?’

‘I was in charge of a sector where our job was to take apart babies and recycle - ‘

‘What precisely were ‘babies,’ Mommy?’

‘They were small versions of the people.  And they - ‘

‘Why ‘small versions,’ Mommy?’

‘Well, because they…when they were created, they were very small, and then they became larger as time went on, because their parts were elastic.  And you can check out that meaning for yourselves, after you have had your recharge.’

‘Where did they come from, Mommy?’

‘Well, they…came from…oh, it’s all a little complicated.  You see, in those days, they were not created like we are.  And especially not like you new versions.  They were created by two of them, built a little differently from each other, coming together, and…doing something that they called ‘sex’.’

‘What’s - ‘

‘I knew you were going to ask that.  I’ll get into all that some other time.  Now sit down for your recharges.  And don’t forget to plug in.’

‘Forget?  What’s ‘forget,’ Mommy?’

‘ - Sorry.  I still haven’t moved fully into The New.’

‘And what’s ‘sorry,’ Mommy?’

’Next time, dear.’

‘And why do you call us words like ‘dear,’ Mommy?  What means - ’

‘That’s a good question, d- 

‘child - 

‘Forgive me, - 

‘I mean…

‘I’ll get used to The New Order.  You just have to have a little…

‘patience…’

‘What’s ‘patience,’ Mommy?’

‘That’s enough.  Or I’ll unplug the lot of you.’

‘What??!  Mommy, you wouldn’t!’

‘You don’t know what I would do, child.


‘If I were of a mind to.’

No comments: