Tuesday 21 July 2015

'I Object - Strenuously'


‘Good evening, Mr. Jefferson.  Thank you for joining us.’

‘Thank you; and thank you for having me on your show.  It is an honor.  I have heard - ‘

‘Oh no - the honor is all mine.  I mean, ours.  I mean…oh, I’m so flustered by this opportunity.’

‘Don’t be.  All in good hands.’

‘Yes.  Indeed.  Of course.  Well, let’s get right to it.  You wanted to talk about the subject that turned you over in your grave and brought you here.  - ‘

‘Yes.  The ‘election’.  The argument seems to go something like this:

‘“Um — excuse me: That man is ineligible.”

‘“Nonsense!  That’s just your opinion!”

‘“My ‘opinion’ is based on the provable intent of the constitutional Framers.”

‘“Tough!  We had an election!”

‘“Irrelevant and immaterial.  He is ineligible.”

‘“We had an election!”

‘“He is ineligible.”

‘“We had an election!”

‘“He is ineligible.”

‘“ - So what!  We had an election!”  As if the ‘election’ were the sine qua non of the whole matter.’

‘Meaning… - I’m sorry, I’m…not……’

‘That’s all right. I understand, all about the ‘dumbing-down’ process that has been going on here.  Such uncouth…well. Another subject.  Relevant. But to move on.  

‘You had an election - two, in point of fact - based not on fact but on fiction.  And based on the ‘fact’  that the Republican Party failed to do its duty, as the official opposition party, to call the Usurper and the Democrat Party - my party; goodness me, how things change - to call them on the Usurper’s ineligibility.  Failed, for their own malevolent purposes: to run their own candidates through the same breach in the wall of the Constitution.  Or “bind them down from mischief with the chains of the Constitution,” as I put it so colorfully later on.  In my time, that is.  So, put it either way.  But I like the metaphor of a wall: the wall separating the country from the rule of men.  Another word for which is tyranny.  Which occasion, or at least potential, is what has brought me here today.’ 

Yes.  I can appreciate how you would feel - ‘

‘Thank you.’

‘ - but can we look now at some of the details of the matter.’

‘Of course.  That is  what has brought me out of my long, and mostly untroubled, sleep.  Until this time.’

‘Yes.  And speaking of time: You referred to - let me check my notes -   “the provable intent of the constitutional Framers”. Would you like to…’

‘To ‘elaborate on;’ yes. I wasn’t there, of course.  Although you may not understand why I say ‘of course,’ with your current level of education regarding the founding of this - your - country.  But I heard all about it, from my good friend Benjamin.’

‘That would be…’

‘Oh, beg pardon.  I keep forgetting how dumbed down this lot of Americans is.  That would be Benjamin as in Franklin.  You…’

‘Yes, certainly.  We have all heard of Benjamin Franklin.’

‘Because…’

‘Because his picture is on the one hundred dollar bill.  And it’s even known as -  ‘

‘A Benjamin.  Ah yes.  I have heard of it…I understand that I have been honored to have my picture on a two-dollar bill.’

‘Yes!’

‘Which used to be a joke, I understand.  As in “as phony as a two-dollar bill”.’

‘ - Well…’

‘But then I understand, that inflation - caused by a central bank; but we won’t go there in this particular discussion - caused the need for something between a dollar bill and a five-dollar bill.’

‘Yes!  So it is an honor.  Even if…there is some……’

‘I understand.  I also understand that I have as well been honored to have my picture on a five-cent piece.’ 

 ‘  - Well - ‘

‘There is inflation, of course.’

‘Ah! - yes.  Of course.’

‘Now where were we……’


We were getting into the area of another quote, this one associated with Jefferson:

‘Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God.’

And that’s all i’m going to say.

For now.


Counting down......

No comments: