Sunday 1 April 2018

Star Wars


Home - Circa mid 1990s

‘Hi Mom.’

‘Hi son.  How’d the game go.’

‘Fine.  Can I have a cookie? - May, I have a cookie?’

'That's better.  Yes you 'can,' since you are physically capable of doing so.  Just one.  Speaking of ‘one’: Who won?’

’Nobody.’

‘What?  What do you mean, ‘nobody’?’

‘We just played for the fun of it.’

‘What?  You mean, nobody kept score?’

’Nope.’

‘Why?’

‘’Cuz.’

‘’’Cuz’ why??’

‘’Cuz that’s the way it’s gonna be from now on.’

‘What?  I don’t understand.’

‘They want us to play, ‘just for the fun of it’.’

‘Why?’

‘I dunno.  They just announced it.  That’s just the way it is.  Gonna be.’

‘Wait a minute.  Hold on, for a sec.  There is to be no more scoring at ball games, because they want you to play games, ‘just for the fun of it’?’

‘Yep.’

‘…  How do you feel about that?’

‘Me?’

‘Yes.  You.  I’m talking to the wall here, or something??’

‘I dunno.  I guess it’s alright.  I mean, they’re in charge.  If that’s the way they want to do things…’

‘If that’s the way they want to do things’…

‘I think I’ve got it.   They don’t want you experiencing ‘losing’.  Or winning either, for that matter.’

‘I guess.  I mean, some of the kids aren’t very good, …’

‘So…Don’t let them feel bad about themselves.  Seems to be what’s going on here…’

‘I guess.  I dunno.’

‘But wouldn’t you want to experience winning, or losing?  For the experience??’

‘Why.’

‘Why?  Because life is like that.  You win some, and you lose some.  So.  Life.  You just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.  …Sorry.  Before your time.’

‘What was.’  

‘Winning.  And losing.  I guess.  Hey - but what about grown-up sports.  Football, basketball, baseball.  They win some, and they lose some.  Don’t you think that’s that a lot closer to what life itself is all about??’

‘Hey, Mom.  I’m not in charge.  That’s just the way they announced it’s gonna be.  And anyway…’

‘What.’

‘It’s not the same thing.  Those guys play for the money.  They want us to play - ‘

(Together): ‘Just for the fun of it.’

(Mom:) ‘I got it.  I think….I don’t like it.  Something wrong here…’

‘Actually, no, Mom.’

‘What?  What do you mean.’

‘There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’.  Things just are; depending on your point of view.’

‘What the - 

‘What’s going on here??  What are they teaching you kids in school these days???’      

           -

Domicile - Circa late 2010s

‘Attention Householder.  The child by the name of !@#$% ^&!@# has not had its mandatory vaccinations.  We have taken care of the social responsibilities in this matter.  The child will not be returned to your care, as your care has proven to be below requirements.  You will be visited this evening, and instructed as to your penalty on your account. 
‘P.S. You did not take your medications today.  Please take care of that matter before our representative contacts you.  That is all.’
   
          -

Planet Earth - Year One

‘Attention!  Attention!!  You are not permitted to enter this Sector.  Divert your current course at once, or -

‘!@#$%^&* - 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz………………………………………..ping ping ping ping ping ping ping......... 

No comments: