Sunday 2 March 2014

More on Constitutions...

SUBTITLED 'THE GOOD CITIZEN'

As a good citizen, I let politicians know how I feel on various issues.  A recent example was one regarding English as our official language.  A state senator here is trying to water that part of the California Constitution down, as a sop to the large Hispanic community in this state.  I took advantage of an e-newsletter source to email the following message (titled 'Support the unifying role of the English language in California') to my state Senator and Assemblymember, thusly:

'Dear (person),

'As a resident of California and a supporter of the unifying role of the English language in the United States, I would like to urge your support in introducing and passing legislation that would enforce language provisions outlined in the California State Constitution. 

'Article 3, Section 6 of the State Constitution clearly proclaims English as the official language of California. It calls on the legislature to enforce this section by appropriate legislation, further stating that the legislature, along with state officials, shall take all the steps necessary to ensure that the role of English as the common language of the State of California is preserved and enhanced. 

'In recent years, a steady stream of new immigrants, coupled with an increase in the native-language translations provided to them, have contributed to the start of linguistic divisions in the Golden State. As of 2009, Californians were able to take a driver's license exam in 32 different languages, and the Census counted 207 languages spoken by residents. By the year 2010, more than 15.2 million California residents spoke a language other than English at home, and nearly 6.9 million of these were only able to speak English less than "very well," meaning they are likely to struggle carrying on more than a basic conversation in English. 

'It is past time that the California State Legislature takes steps to enforce this constitutional provision that will help expand opportunities for immigrants to learn and speak English. I hope I can count on your support to introduce legislation that will enforce Official English and ensure that California's non-English speakers are able to learn English so they can better their lives and better contribute to the state's overall economy.

'We may have different opinions about this matter. But I wanted you to know where I stand on it. I stand on the side of America and Americans being united by a common language. Not Balkanized by a plethora of languages.

'Sincerely,'

(etc.)

Unfortunately, my District's Senator is the very person who is sponsoring the intended watering-down of the referred-to Section of the State Constitution; hence in particular why I added the concluding paragraph to this message prepared by the English language-supporting organization behind the campaign.*  


Another case in point (and also including a constitutional issue): this, my reply today to a request for a financial contribution to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, via one Jerry Moran, Chairman and former (federal) Senator:

'Dear Jerry,

'It pains me not to be able to support you, especially in this crucial election year.  But until the NRSC recognizes that the Constitution has been near-fatally assaulted  - is hanging by a slender thread - because the Republican Party, as the official opposition party, failed to call the Democrat Party on putting up an ineligible candidate for the presidential office in 2008 and 2012 (and thus colluded in that crime) - and does something about it - I cannot, in all good conscience, lend you my support.

'Read my lips: The whole purpose of the constitutional Framers putting the "natural born citizen" requirement in the contract for that particular office - and that particular office ONLY (whose occupant, you will note, was also to be the Commander in Chief of the nation's military forces) - was te make sure - as sure as they could, at least - that that occupant had no CONFLICTING LOYALTIES OR ALLEGIANCES.  Like a naturalized citizen.  Or a DUAL CITIZEN.  Like OBAMA.

'DUH.' 

(signed; and on the return-addressed envelope, the notation:)

'For the personal attention of Jerry Moran, Chairman'

I have sent him similar messages in the recent past, rather than just tear their donation requests up.  (I even put my own stamps on the self-addressed return envelopes.  It's the least I can do, to send him/them a message, with no other 'contribution' in it.)  Do I think he will ever see it/them?  I don't know.  But one does what one can.  


So, you can see that the Democrats are not the only ones not flying 'by the book' - i.e., by the rule of law - in my book.   

So I am an Equal Opportunity employer of people representing my views in the political world of my time; i.e. to say, I play no favorites.  Except to support those individuals who are doing their job with integrity, and from at least a degree of high consciousness.  

Not the low levels that are being employed at this time, by representatives of The People on both sides of the political aisle.

---

footnote:

* My State Senator is the Chair of the California Legislative Latino Caucus; go figure.  But my District's Assemblyperson is an equally liberal 'representative,' from a very liberal family of government reps - including my federal District's Congressman.  And California's two federal Senators are, as everybody knows, as liberal as they come.  And our Governor……well; you know the rest of that sentence.  As i have been sentenced to having not a single political rep representing my views in the state and nation's politics.  
     So I have to go further afield, to give financial contributions to political persons elsewhere who represent my views.  Which are primarily, but not exclusively, 'conservative' in nature.  I also sign many a petition on behalf of causes that are generally considered to be 'liberal' in orientation, concerns about the environment over pipelines and so forth.  (N.B.: We're heading for free energy devices anyway, folks.)  So call me an Independent.  I still have no one representing me directly in politics.
     If I were a little younger………              

No comments: