Friday 26 December 2014

O Little Speck Of Cosmic Dust


I have just watched a 45-minute History Channel documentary on the pyramids of southwest China, housing the tombs of the leaders of their various dynasties, built on the backs of thousands of workers, many of whose remains are still there too.  I am moved to comment thus:

Vanity!
Vanity!
Man, thy name
                is
Vanity...

When I keel over
        for good
Bury me -
              to say
              my body -
   somewhere
On the horn
Of the unicorn
And let it go
At that.

--

I have also - in this same vein - just recently watched a short video narrated by the late, popular scientist/astronomer Carl Sagan.  Which has caused me to reflect thusly:

That little blue orb
Of monumental
Proportions
Close up -
This shimmering globe
Of such potential
That it boggles
The mind…

O little speck
Of cosmic dust
How big you are
In my eye
For the moment
In Time
         that we
Have met…
     
         but still
         I sing
         to thee
 and send you smiles
Of gratitude
For housing me
So beautifully
In the interlude
Of time between
My Here
               and
                 the
    NOW

       to which we
    will all
   return

        some sooner
       than others
      caught up
      in
      the Illusion
        along
          the
     Way
                   like
            a galaxy
     of shimmering
      trinkets
           all
          its
        own.

         But not
     to worry.
             We
     will all
Get there
In
The End

 and leave
 the dust
 and ashes
 of memories
 behind

      sprinkled
      on
 our various
         graves.

No comments: