Sunday 12 April 2015

On Having A Nice Day


In the ‘For What It’s Worth' department:

from fixthisnation.com: ‘American Gun Production Surging Under Obama’ - April 9; posted April 11

..

How about these words of wisdom from an esteemed Founding Father? 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from ANY who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their OWN GOVERNMENT!"~George Washington, a natural-born American citizen, Patriot, and First President of the United States.

4
Reply
    • Morton212 fearlessolotraveler 15 hours ago 

    • “In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
  •          ~Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Horatio Spofford, 1814

  •           3
  •           Reply

    • fearlessolotraveler Morton212 13 hours ago 

    • Morton212: Thank you for sharing that incredible quotation. It's one I haven't seen among Thomas Jefferson's many statements, which I refer to as "Prophecies for America's future generations!" Even 239 years ago, "a few" of our Founding Fathers obviously realized the rapacious greed and propensity for power and (ultimately,) subjugation within the government which at that time, had unquestioned authority to dictate to a young nation which was still basically, uneducated and vulnerable.
    • In 2007, I started memorizing Founding Father quotations so I could answer Anti-Gun ignorant people with more than just "my opinion."

    • Keep some "power dry" Morton212 and remember this fervent admonition from yet another Founding Father:

    • "The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its GOVERNMENT!"~Thomas Paine
    • Reply

    • Morton212
      fearlessolotraveler 13 hours ago 

    • Well thank you - but I am afraid you are misunderstanding Jefferson's meme. It was really nothing to do with protecting his country from government, but protecting it from the despotic influence of religion.

    • Reply

      •            fearlessolotraveler
        Morton212 11 hours ago 

        • Oh, my goodness!! You are quite correct, Morton212. It seems I was so excited to read an unfamiliar quotation from President Jefferson that I inadvertently missed "fully absorbing" the word: PRIEST in his comment! I now realize my mistake by focusing instead on "hostile, liberty, despot and abuses," in line with my thoughts since 2008 concerning the relentless aggression from this government to get our guns FIRST, then ultimately, destroying The Middle Class and America, step-by-step! 
        • When reading your reply, I instantly recalled researching biographical information for this President in 2009 which revealed (to my shock and disbelief) that: "Thomas Jefferson was an adamant deist..." 
        • So I apologize for my glaring mistake Morton212 and thank you for your correction. I shall "read more slowly" next time! ;-)

        • BTW: Here is the first Founding Father quotation I memorized in February, 2008:

        • "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."~Thomas Jefferson

        •   Reply

          • Morton212
            fearlessolotraveler 11 hours ago 

          • You are welcome - no need to apologize to me - learning is a constant process. And here is another useful one:

          • “When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obligated to call for help of the civil power, it’s a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.”
          • ~Founding Father Benjamin Franklin, letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780

          • 1
          • Reply
            •  kibitzer3 fearlessolotraveler 2 hours ago (April 11) 

            • Just for the record, fst: T.J. was not a deist. That was what his Federalist enemies tried to make of him, when he didn't toe their line on religious dogma. His doctrinal opinions changed over the years, but his unwavering admiration for the man Jesus never did. A good book in all this regard: 'The Jefferson Lies' by David Barton.

            • And P.S. Thanks for the T.J. quote. I'm a firm admirer of the man, and wasn't familiar with it
          •            Reply
            • fearlessolotraveler kibitzer3 an hour ago 
            • Good morning kibitzer3, I've just read your message and the new information you've shared about President Jeffersons "spiritual inclinations" has definitely "Made my day!" THANK YOU very much! I'm SO happy and grateful to learn our third and very illustrious President did indeed, have a "working knowledge" of Jesus!! :-)

            • It's a "long story," but because of his countless and fervent admonitions to America's future generations, I've ALWAYS sensed this President had a tremendous dedication to "God, and Country!" Thank you again for "enlightening" me concerning a TRUE patriot I have admired and revered since high school (fifty six years ago.) However, I've been acknowledging and honoring him even more since 2008! ;-)

            • Because I'm traveling at the moment, I may not have immediate access to "The Jefferson Lies," but be assured, I will read that book in its entirety!

            • Wishing you a pleasant rest-of-the-weekend wherever you are kibitzer3, and if you're not already familiar with this quote, may I share yet another example of wisdom and insight from that dear President:
            •                                                        
            • "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."~Thomas Jefferson

            • p.s: I'm not religious, but I do have a significant relationship with God and His Son. :-)

          •            Reply

            • kibitzer3 fearlessolotraveler a few seconds ago (April 12)

            • Thank you for your sentiments. And just to close this exchange off with another proof that the man was not a deist, here's another quotable quote from this remarkable man:

            • "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever." Not that it ever did, or does. But we need to learn our lessons. Another of which is:

            • "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Says it all, really.

            • Have a nice day. :-)

No comments: