Monday 2 March 2015

All Aboard


     All Aboard
Who Are Going
       Aboard

I have seen -

The palm trees of Long Beach
(California, that is),
                    standing
Like sentinels,
                    guarding
The good life
Next to the sea
(More so than the hotels
And apartment buildings
                    lining
The gentling beach)
     And like bookends
            to my life
Of travels and travails
              on this
Small planet, grain
Of sand
Itself
As these things go;

The silver snakes of Mull,
                     slithering 
Down the hillsides
            and emptying into
The solemn Sounds of Scotland;

The Sydney Harbor Bridge
From the inside, so to speak

Of enjoyable moments and sights
In this otherwise
Dark prison
Often.

And then the cruise ship,
                      docked
For the day
Sounds its warning horn
For the pleasure seekers
To get ready to get
Back on board
For yet another leg
Of its journey,
                 cruising
In place
On planèt Earth

As it was, before
The Big Change came through
And set in.

All aboard
Who are going aboard
The New Agenda. 


I expect you Californians
To have sorted out
This State
By the time I get back
From the next leg
Of my journey
Across this divided country
Setting it Right
                   And return
To my home 
                    away
From my true
Home

on a far distant shore.

No comments: