Saturday 5 August 2017

Pictures Of My Family


(On The Occasion Of Having Received Electronically A Picture Of My Immediate Family, And Under Somewhat Trying Circumstances Regarding Said Relationships)


Pictures Of My Family

There was my mother;
                   a stranger
To me, really; more
Of a custodian merely
As I was lounging on the sideline of life,
                        waiting
For my big entrance
Into The Game of Life
As a quarterback
Or more;
                and then
There was my father:
                a cipher
                         in
   the background 
And thus allowing me
To be my own boss
As I grew up
Into my greater role;
               and then
             there was
My brother:
             an example
To me of my estrangement
From these people
          around me
          in their current
          incarnation
         (a condition
    that perhaps I
    had something to do
    about);
                 and then
                 there is
My brother’s little family
                  (for I
Have none of my own
This time around),
                  sitting on
My computer, 
                 gaily
               enjoying
                    the
     weather.
             (Sent to me
          out of a sense
                   of fealty,
                   since I
             played father 
                           to
                the brood
             at one point
             upon the untimely 
                  death
            of my stranger    
                brother
            out of a sense
                of duty
                to him
For services rendered
                along
            The Way.)
                            But
Strangers all, really,
        comparatively.
          As compared
          that is to say
          to the pictures
          in my psyche
Of my real family:
           the Family
     of Man.

Now facing a decision:
                whether
         to separate
         in the act
    of Ascension
                  (going on
             as we speak)
Or to stay together,
             in this peak
       experience;
            heading back
            from whence
            we came.

       Decisions.  De-
           cisions.

No comments: