Friday 11 November 2016

I Come From A Far Country


        BOOKENDS

                 I

I Come From A Far Country
           (Subtitled:
     On losing Weight
    For A Better Body)

I come from a far country
      where everything
             is done
              purely
     through thought;
   and consequently
           nothing
    is either bought
          or sold,
     with thinking
     making it so;

And thus, no need
For arms, or legs,
Or hands, or feet.
 An extraordinary
                    feat;
             wouldn’t
             you say?
And thus, no need
             as well,
            for good
            example,
         of straining
             at stool.
        An ignoble
             pursuit
       at the best
           of times;

And no time either,
                         for
            that matter; 
      and no matter  
            itself,
         of course.
             Just
             pure
          energy.

       You see,
          don’t
          you?
      he said,
 mischievously

      tying up
        loose
        ends

    like lacing
 one’s fingers
     together
metaphorically
   at the end
  of a perfect
     no-day.

—-

And further on being

A Stranger In A Strange Land

If someone were to ask me what I thought of the elections, I would say:

‘I don’t understand why you people are considering Trump to have won the election, when Hillary won the popular vote.’  

And the person would tell me about the Electoral College vote.  And I would say in reply:

‘But that’s according to the rules.  To say: to the rule of law.  You people gave up on the rule of law nearly eight years ago now, when you allowed an ineligible candidate to run for and occupy the office of the presidency.’  

And the person would look at me, and think that it was I who was mad.  And another person, standing nearby and having overheard the conversation, might ask (being a bit more curious about such things as the Truth of things): ‘How so?’

And I would say, ‘Because the definition of a, quote, ‘natural born’ citizen, unquote, is a person, quote, “born in the country, of parents who are citizens,” unquote.  That’s what makes it ‘natural,’ you see.’  

And the person (the first person having walked away by then, shaking his head) might ask further (genuinely curious; or combatively): ‘Who says?’

And I would reply: ‘A man by the name of Emer de Vattel, who wrote the definitive tome of the day of our constitutional Framers on such nation-building matters, entitled ‘The Law of Nations’.  

And the person might reply,* ‘But definitions could have changed over the years.’

And I would respond:

‘Indeed.  But in the case of a contract - which is what the Constitution is; a contract between the several States and the federal government - it would have required a constitutional amendment to change it legally.  And there has been none such forthcoming.   

‘Oh, there have been attempts,’ I would continue (depending on the attention span of my interlocutor).  ‘Eight times, as matter of fact, between 2003 and 2008 alone, to get just such an amendment starting through Congress - proposals all of which had this matter as their common denominator.  But none of them even got out of committee, such was the sensitivity around this particular issue.’   

And the person might ask me (genuinely curious, or combatively), about this time in the conversation: ’Who are you?’

And I would say, ‘Call me Socrates.  Close enough.’

It’s the spirit of the thing that counts, after all. 


* the person might ask, or demand, to know additionally what evidence there was that the Framers in fact used de Vattel as their source for the definition.  Of which, there is a multitude.  But you get the drift of the - my imaginary - conversation.   

—-

             II

On A Starless Evening

On a starless evening
Except for Venus
                    (low
   in the west
  this tlme of year
                   here) 
And the Moon,
                    signaling
              there is
                    more
            to come:

        I’m tired of living
In this cocoon.
                  I want
                       out.
       To spread
My imagined wings
               and fly
Fly, to the present horizon    
        and beyond.

And I have found my
             lucky penny
        for the day.  I
Can go home now.
   The universe
       calling me
          subtly.

No comments: